Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"...But I'm a Good Person"

There is a common misconception among those who have been raised as Believers and those who do not feel the need to believe in God at all...

It's safe to say that the majority of both groups mentioned either feel better than the "average person" and/or feel as though, generally, they are Good People, respectively.

Having been raised as a Christian, I too can say at one point I felt as though there is some sort of higher level that God sees me in comparison to "extreme" sinners of the world. Surely, I must be a BIT safer...or at least God looks at me a lil more favorably than those who've raped, killed..etc.

So maybe you haven't CONSCIOUSLY thought of yourself as better, but deep doooowwwnn felt it too...

There are atheists who've never experienced drugs...are educated...successful...involved in charity...and believe they don't need to feel guilty for they haven't DONE ANYTHING drastically wrong. "I am a good person," they would say...And most who know them would agree...

There are certain facts the word of God discloses that specifically embarass and object both states of mind...take a look! =)

1)GOD HAS NO FAVORITES: 34Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism"Acts 10:34 (NIV)

2) We ALL have sinned and DONT deserve life:

23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," Romans 3:23 (NIV)

also:

12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned—
3)Not feeling guilt doesn't make one innocent: "If the entire Israelite community sins by violating one of the Lord's commands, but the people don't realize it, they are still guilty." (Leviticus 4:13 (NIV))
4) Not knowing one has sinned doesn't free one from consequences of sin: "Suppose you sin by violating one of the Lord's commands. Even if you are unaware of what you have done, you are guilty and will be punished for your sin." (Leviticus 5:17 (NIV))
5) Those who are unbelievers may not feel the guilt of sin.
6) Those in whom the Holy spirit Lives will be tormented by sin
.

5&6 are in blue because I'd like to elaborate...5) if this is you, then you simply choose not to believe and choose also to ignore, or be oblivious to your slavery to sin...you accomodate and adjust to make yourself comfortable within this dagerous lifestyle...labeling it your "norm." You live your life how you want to within the chains of sin, and you do not fear anyone. You, do not fear GOD...You, my friend, have been deceived...
here is what is written:

PSALM 36:1-2 "Sin whispers to the wicked, deep within their hearts. They have no fear of God at all. IN their blind conceit, they cannot see how wicked they really are."

PROVERBS 5:22-23 "An evil man is held captive by his own sins; they are ropes that catch and hold him. He will die for lack of self-control; he will be lost because of his great foolishness."

Even if you don't believe in the Bible as the word of God, it doesn't change the fact that it simply is.

On the other hand, all those who truly believe....The Holy Spirit in you will assure that sin is not left unnoticed if it is present in your life. if you are #6, then, as David describes...sin will feel like this:

PSALM 31:9-10 "Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am in distress. Tears blur my eyes. My body and soul are withering away. I am dying of grief; my years are shortened by sadness. SIN has drained my strength; I am wasting away from within"

PSALM 38:3,4,5 "...my health is broken because of my sins. My guilt overwhelms me--it is a burden too heavy to bear. My wounds fester and stink because of my foolish sins".

the turmoil that sin causes is experienced only when the Holy Spirit lives in you. Sometimes, unfortunately, the burden of sin is dangerously softened by the self righteous song the devil turns on in someone's head, keeping the heart from hearing God's voice and blurring the reflection of sin on you.

if sin is in your life, and you are aware...do not delay.

Jesus awaits with open arms: He says "I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who KNOW they are sinners." (Mark 2:17.)

Knowing you are a sinner will help you acknowledge the roots of the weeds...and repentence, "I am on the verge of collapse, facing constant pain. But I confess my sins; I am deeply sorry for what I have done." (Psalm38:17-18), like David, will be the first step of accepting this:

"He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what He has done and be amazed They will put their trust in Him." Psalm 40:2-3


Blessings, in His name
victoria

4 comments:

Nat said...

I was just about to request that you post something Vick...thank you for this reminder! It is awesome that you put so many Bible passages up for people to see if they are still not sure what you wrote is true...(they can see for themselves) and if I can add, those who are simple "satisfied with life the way it is right now"...living in sin, you will one day regret that choice...becasue that day will never end for you in hell.
May this wake up those who are spiritually asleep, and encourage those who are forgiven to always check oneself and make sure your heart is not convicting you...
Blessings.

Nadia said...

Thanks Vickie. This is a serious topic that makes me check myself daily if I'm in the faith. (2 Corinthians 13:5)

Irina said...

God Bless you victoria, that was an awesome reminder.

Lena said...

Victoria, thank you very much for the reminder! I too, had thoughts come through my mind that I am a bit better than non-believers, but God doesn't play favorites! I am a sinner, but because of Jesus' mercy, I am saved, and have eternal life with God! Thanks again for the reminder Vicki!!!!
I MISS YOU GIRLS SOOOOO MUCH! =)