Saturday, March 7, 2009

Loosing Sight of Our Leader...


Reading Exodus chapter 32 this morning, really made me wake up and wonder why such dramatic changes and why so quickly...

The people of Israel who Moses had lead out from Egypt, made a false god and worshiped him. I was getting frustrated with Aaron too....why would he make a false god for the people? Did he not know that only One True God exists? What happened to the faith on the people? Did they not know the REAL God, the One who brought them out of Egypt?...

...reading on...in verse 7 God tells Moses to go back down from the mountain because, "your people, whom you brought up from the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves". (NASB)

Thinking about the situation that went on at that time and trying to apply that principle to my life today...God opened my heart to understand this:

When the people lost sight of their leader, Moses, they "corrupted themselves" ...made a false god, worshiped him, brought him offerings, etc... All of a sudden something that was once bad, became okay for them.

Offten times in our lives when we loose sight of our Leader, Jesus Christ, we become corrupt and stray off path....even though we may not make golden calves for ourselves to worship, other things become idols or distractions that lead us in a false direction...leading only to hell.

The scary part is this; The people once knew that worshiping a false god is not okay, and yet ....they did exactly that when Moses was out of the picture...
I question myself at times why things that I've looked at as 'negative' in my life, or forbidden, over time become okay and part of my routines...could it be because I'm loosing sight of my Leader, Jesus Christ?

We could be in worship, bring offerings, and feel good about what we are doing, but if that worship and those offerings are not brought to the TRUE GOD Who brought us out of our sinful life, we are no better than the people of Israel.

This lesson is first hand for me, but I want to share it with you, and encourage all of us to never loose sight of our Leader. Jesus Christ. Lets ask ourselves from time to time if we are following the True Leader, the One and Only Way Who will lead us to our promised land- Heaven.

May God Bless you all.

*( As a practical way of constantly being reminded of this principle, we can place sticky notes in random places with the accronyms WWJD...(What Would Jesus Do)...and make sure to place them in spots that may cause us to stray, or stumble...that way when we see the letters, we could be reminded to remember Jesus and if HE would ever do such a thing.)

3 comments:

Nadia said...

This is a good reminder to keep our eyes on Jesus and not look to the sides or away. What's interesting is that the Iraelites SAW God lead them by the cloud in the day and the fiery column at night as well as they saw all the wondrous miracles that God had sent them when they began to complain. Nevertheless, they relied on a golden human made idol when they thought Moses wouldn't return. God became just a distant memory. Sad...

Victoria said...

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuu. I love this! Actually I was reading that part not too long ago and felt UPSET at AARON too!! hahaha thinking: ARE YOU SERIOUS???!!

I like how you connected to today and right now....sometimes I feel the people who have been christian from a young age don't necessarily lose sight of Jesus...but they manipulate God's image in their hearts and conform Him into a Spirit that is comfortable with one's lifestyle, making it "ok" to live the way they do...or "cut corners" on our pathway of life.

On the same note, if one finds himself doing that...it is best to come back to the word of God and "meet" the real Jesus again, analyzing one's heart...and whether you really grew to know Him...

i love ya nat!

Nat said...

Thank you ladies, and Vick...i love you too!!!! (You too Nad...lol)
But I'm glad I wasnt' the only one upset with Aaron like you mentioned it Vicky...(not like I'm better, but just seems so odd that he would do that)

and good point you brought up there Vicky, I agree that even I sometimes adjust God's views according to mine, God forgive me.

Nadiya,....I am sad with you about that too.