Tuesday, February 10, 2009

TRUST


Trust in the Lord, and do good;
dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
Delight yourself in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the Lord;
trust in him, and he will act.
He will bring forth your righteousness as the light,
and your justice as the noonday.

Psalm 37:3-6

It's amazing, looking back at my life, I see how God's hand has led me, He has prepared the circumstances for me before I even realized that is what I needed. As I reflect on my past...the feelings I get are so overwhelming...and the song "Who Am I" accompanies my memories, humbling me to a grain of sand.

Towards the end of nursing school, all students had the opportunity to combine the last two semesters (5 &6th) and finish early, as was my plan also. after 4th semester, we had the summer chunk of free time before the rigorous semester ahead. As many of you know, classes and info is often online: "Blackboard" was used at CSUS.

One happy summer day, after sleeping what felt like 50 hours (compared to the 4-5hours on average)...I woke up and routinely checked my Blackboard, even though we were on vacation! I probably did it cuz I was zombified from school. Anyway, seriously though, I know God did that. There I, along with our whole class, gets letter about an open space for one of our students to join the accelerated class and finish by the end of the summer. One limitation though: you dont get to choose where you want to do your rotation that last semester. The Placement was going to be at Shriner's, A kid's Hospital caring for Burns, Spinal Cord Injuries and Orthopedics. whoever was interested needed to reply, not work anywhere else, and be done with required courses and able to start in 2 days.

so I replied.

on my way to work that day (I interned at Kaiser ICU) I was talking to God. I felt soooooo confident that I was going to get picked (they drew from a hat to be fair)...that it almost scared me. you know the saying goes "prepare for worst and hope for best" or s/t like that. At work I already told my managers I will be finishing even earlier and might need to cut down on hours. On the way back from work I thought to myself "all this confidence can't possibly be from just hoping. I KNOW God wants me to fill in that spot". Well, I come home, check my email, and guess what. NOT PICKED!!!

nope I didnt cry...I felt like well, then that's what God wanted. I stayed up late, relaxed...2am I fall asleep. 5am my phone wakes me up. The instructor calls me and says: The person who was selected cannot begin right away, so we drew names again and you are picked. are you still interested? first I said "huh?" then I cleared my croaking throat and said "YESS!" hahahah. yupp, God has some humor too ;)

So, fast forward to after passing my boards: Everyone tells me "have you applied? where? how are you gonna do it? You haven't applied yet?! it's hard to get a job right now! what are you waiting for??" on and on. Aside from the fact that I'm not married and no kids who need dineros asap...I generally didnt worry much about getting a job. I knew I would-eventually.

But then! I applied online to like 9 positions! and almost immediately got a reply saying: "we are sorry...blah blah blah" did I panic you ask? OF COURSE I PANICKED! I wanted to be an ICU nurse...and at that point with the economy (lets blame it for everything =) , I felt lucky to get a job washing pt's assets for 12 hours a day.

It was wednesday, the third day of my application galore, and I saw the opening at UCD Med Center, Burn ICU. I have already applied to the Cardiology Unit and Med Surge ICU...as I was applying for the Burn Unit position, the darn website didnt attach my letter of rec, and didnt want to get my cover letter. A lil frustrated, I decided I'll wait to see what happens.

The following week, the status of my application said "interviews" which means the manager has picked his people to interview. I didnt get called! =( but God gave me this urge to turn in my other papers that didn't attach. I get dressed and call Human Resources on my way to the Hospital...well they said "uhhh, No, we don't accept any paperwork at all, everything is done online". But I was already at the hospital. so I kinda looked up at the sky and went "well, why the urge then??????" I park my car, and walk up to the burn unit....knees shaking. thinking "what am i gonna say? what if the manager isn't here, what if he already hired someone?". As I'm waiting...a man, with a big smile stands next to me and asks "who are you here for?" and I answer "oh, just for the Nurse Manager". to which he replies "That's me, come follow me!"

He tells me he did his interviews that day and was thinking he would go home early! I told him my paper situation, he asks IF I HAVE BURN EXPERIENCE, and i say yuppppp, he leaves to make a phone call, comes back and says "your resume was probably lost among others, do you mind if I interview you now?" in my head:
" "OMYGOOODNESSGRACIOUS AM I REALLY HEARING THIS????????" I embrace myself, nervously smile like heck and answer "sure, that would be great".

driving home I was talking to God, "God, I dunno if I do get the position or not, but what I saw today, and what you do in my life is so amazing, and I thank you for that."

I love my new Job!!

then, weeks into working, I find out that my manager was just as surprised at how he hired me as I was, and he mentioned he was talking to God tooo asking Him if this was the right decision!! I had a mask on when he was telling me this but my Jaw was so open I think you could fit the whole wide world into it!

that is my story. God is amazing...He has provision like no other. He has prepared the path for you. what have you to lose? He wants you to trust Him everything. And who would know better what you need than the One who Created you?

Be blessed. and thank you for hearing this out =) I hope it leaves you with a smile, at least.

5 comments:

Nat said...

AAAAAaaahhh!!! even though i heard the story before...i still had tears in my eyes reading this!!! (litterally, i almost had to go get a tissue...) i get chills at how shocking everything turned out!!! I just can't wait to see the even bigger picture, when you find out why you are there...exactly...maybe we won't find out untill heaven, but i still can't wait! ...and thank you sooo much for posting this! FINALLY!!!!

Nadia said...

Thanks Vickusik! Made me grin like a maniac! God works in mysterious ways!! Thank God you were all brave to go up to the hospital like that! Thanks for posting. I would like to reread this sometime. God bless.

Lena said...

Victoria, reading your incredible post, just left me speechless! God really works in such mysterious ways and has a plan for all of us! Thank you so much for sharing your story with me and God bless you at your job, may your heart shine like a star on a dark night! I love you, muah!

Victoria said...

i love youuuu! and miss you! =)

pursueing_God said...

wow thats quite a story! actually I have been recently searching for a job too and am amazed at the doors slamming in my face..so this is quite an encouragement! i have been repeating again and again to myself of God's wonderful sovereignty but saying and believing are two different things. so maybe ill have a story like that ;) though i can barely work up the courage to call to check the status of my application, so idk about going there purely on God's guidance

btw love the "expect the worst but hope for the best quote" thats my motto , aside from "dont waste your life" =)