Monday, January 19, 2009

Sometimes, we need to be Reminded

Although what I am about to talk about isn't some new theological/philosophical whatever you wannacallit...it was a wonderful reminder nonetheless.

Someone I am close to shared a quote that made them stop in their tracks:

"prayer without deed is begging and deed without prayer is slavery."

so If I am praying really hard on an important topic for me, for example: Finding a job, School/Career, Emotional life/spiritual/Love...but am not ACTING...searching online/applying to school, getting involved in church..etc, then I am as good as a beggar. Quite honestly, I do get softened up on the streets of Arden..and occasionally, I have given a few bucks on a super long red light... to the beggars. However, I always imagined that people who really do want help, will work for it, they will be driven by the constant yearning feeling to get out of the uncomfortable situation they are in. but, that's another topic. Frankly, I think of those beggars as lazy, most of them. I don't ever want God to see me begging without already trying everything in my own power to change "xyz" in my life. hmm something else comes to mind: it's almost like whining! whining or the state of being unhappy/unsatisfied/even depressed is like sitting and rocking yourself in a rocking chair--it keeps you busy but doesn't get you Anywhere! (I don't remember where I heard that.)

On the other hand, If I am already involved somehow in church...or if I am doing something that I feel is good/important/requiring responsibility...something that I am sure God would acknowlegde or approve of...but am NOT PRAYING about it, it will soon become a burden!! Believe it or not, the feelings of satisfaction or simply being happy about what you do will dissolve if they are not seasoned by and accompanied with Prayer. When God is included in the CENTER of our deeds, it is only then that I will feel privilged, motivated, humbled and proud to continue "xyz" in my life with passion- rather than feeling like it is yet another task to complete.

I hope this leaves you thinking about How you Pray, and what areas in YOUR life need to be seasoned by Prayer.

God Bless You.

7 comments:

Victoria said...

P.S> this motivated me personally to pray for our blog and the readers who stumble to our new lil world here. =)

Nat said...

Wow! That is so true...thank you for such an amazing reminder! I know I needed that personally. Blessings hun.

Nadia said...

I'm with you 100%. When I took what I believed in outside of church and felt Gods blessings through answered prayers, that's when I felt the power of DOING something was really the combined effort of prayer and being prodded by God to act instead of resting my hands in my lap and somehow waiting for something to happen.

Nadia said...

Vickie plzzzz post that speech you gave me at my bday dinner. It was about how we should not take part in the instances when your coworkers or friends are talking negatively about someone or are spreading rumors. I believe you said that it is best to stay away from that... and then I cannot recall. If you could please post it (if you remember).

Lena said...

Victoria, what an encouraging thought! Sometimes I really "pray" as a begger....I need this, and please give me this, and I want this now or else I will die =).....well God doesn't even bother to listen to this kind of "prayer" of mine..... Willi once said during our Saturday lessons that our talk with God should not me a monologue, BUT a DIalouge, where TWO people are involved in a conversation! Pretty deep huh? So, thanks again for the reminder of how we need to pray!

Victoria said...

I love that you share your thoughts here =) please continue!!

pursueing_God said...

wow great quote! but one that must be read and interpreted VERY carefully! i dont know about the "beggers". matt 5:3 says blessed are the poor in spirit.. which literally means those who are so poor they are ashamed to even ask for something, even below beggers. (btw that's steve lawson from resolved..not me :) and also, to quote George Mueller, you must do whatever is in your own power but after doing that cast it aside as if you'd never done it and depend on God alone, on His grace! what im saying is one might go into the extreme of "ive done my part so God now you must do your part" i often equate myself to a begger for indeed i have nothing but Christ, and His sacrifice and without that all i do is merely filth in the eyes of my King (is 64:6)

btw i compltely and totally agree with your opinoin on the homeless! few people are brave enough to voice this truth however which is sad. i dont think that excuses us from helping them...we should take them out to lunch and share the Gospel, pull some strings for a job opprotunity and pray!