Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sons of God and daughters of men...

Hello everyone! Seeing that none of us had posted anything new recently, I will take the opportunity to share a thought that has been on my mind for a couple of weeks now...

I was reading Genesis chapter 6 a few weeks ago, and this verse just stood out to me. I kept reading it over and over again and looked into different translations of it, and basically here is what I got out of it for myself.

"...the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose..." Genesis 6:2 (NLT)

To give you just a quick reference to the context, this is just before God sends a flood to wipe mankind from the face of the earth, when people and their wickedness were multiplying. The Bible says that men increased in number and had children, and then...well here, read from the begining of the chapter:

"1 Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them,
2 that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose.
3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years." "
- Genesis 6:1-3 (NASB)

(Please note* by no means am I trying to define what this excert from the Bible mean, or use it out of context , or apply it in a different way...If someone is affended by this post or if you can see it clearly crossing limits I am not supposed to, please let me know and I will remove it from the blog...)

Okay, so now to emphasize what was twirling around in my head while I was concentrating on this verse were the questions: Why does it say sons of God, but daughters of men? Why does it emphasize the beauty of the daughters these men married? Why did they marry them? Was it bad that they married them? Why was the Lord's Spirit not contend with mankind after this? ...Why did the days of man decrease dramatically after this event is accounted for in the Bible? (if you just look back a few chapters you can see that people lived to be over 900 years! and then suddenly the Lord says "...his days will be a hundred and twenty years..." -Genesis 6:3

...so I coudn't answer all of my questions, but this was the overall message that I took out, (I should say that God showed me) ..maybe the reason that the daughters were called "daughters of men" and not "daughters of God" was because they truly were daughters of worldy men, unlike the righteous sons of God...

...maybe the fact that these daughters were "beautiful" was the reason that the sons fell for them and married them....
...Marriage is a union, and when the "Godly" were crossed with the "worldy" ...they were united and had children (read in verse 4, ) . Then the Lord says "how great man's wickedness on the earth had become..." verse 5...
And ofcourse we see soon after, the flood comming to wipe mankind...

Okay...so taking it deeper for myself...I was relating this to my own life and our time today...

All of us, (saved Christians, those who believe in Christ, believers)..are in essence "sons of God"...we are "children of God" sons and daughters of God...
All those who come from the world, things possesions, people, etc..whatever it may be...even if it doesn't seem wicked, I mean what's so bad about "daughters of men" right?...wrong...We know there are only two masters, and everything that is not from God...well you do the connection where it comes from...
...Often times what catches our attention is the "beauty" that the world offers whether it may be in another person, an object, an idea, a thought, etc...BUT ...if that person, object, idea, thought, etc is not "Godly" but instead "worldly" ....the first thing we should do is NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT!....
what do we end up doing instead?
...bringing it in to our life, getting attached to it, uniting with it... "they married ...them"...I am not talking about literaly getting married to someone God doesn't want us to (although that happens too,) but taking that idea and applying it to other aspects of our life...and the fact that we get attached to them even...

Okay...so I hope and pray that this makes sence to some of you...it was a big eye-opener for me personally....and after this I was praying for God to show me what things in my life are "worldy"...what is from the "world" that I need to get rid of and de-attach from...

It's amazing how God works, and before I can even honestly say that I really began to focus on trying to figure out what those things are...God already sent someone to show me what some of those things were... AMAZING!!!

And I am still having a hard time understanding if many of the things that are in my life are okay just because long ago I had that crosslink of the "Godly" with the "worldly" and now it just seems okay for me, I got used to it don't pay attention to it... still don't understand many things, but this amazing lesson that God taught me from a single verse in the Bible...really is begining to make a difference in my life...

Also want to say that I hope the Lord works in your hearts as well, and even through this blog....please leave your comments if you have some answers for me, ideas, thouhts, if you want to add anything, if it oppened your eyes like it did mine, ...and ofcourse if you are offended and I will do what I said I would...

Thank you for taking the time to read this...May God Bless you!

*May all GLORY be given to GOD!!!

4 comments:

Nadia said...

Thanks Nat very inspiring! This is the way to read the word and apply it. God bless.

Victoria said...

wow Nat I really like this, and am analyzing my life too...I think I will definitely "file for divorce" from the worldly marriages Ive been in. Praise God =) and thank you

Nat said...

...I love the way you phrased that Vick.."file for divorce"...that's it! That's what i'm missing...
Praise God, and thank you for the insight as well. Luv ya!

Irina said...

wow that was a huge eye opener, thank you sooo much for sharing! Its true like i do put Godly things and earthly things together and think that everything will work out and i will get to heaven with them, and its not true its either your with God or against God.. Thanks!